About these ads

What matters in the world of popular music.

Tori Amos’ out-of-print masterclass performance from Sessions at West 54th proves the incendiary power of live rock

There are times words fail, and many of them occur during the viewing of these seven incredible live videos taken from Tori Amos’ performance on the oft-missed program Sessions at West 54th. Amos and her backing band set these songs afire in a series of performances which rival the Sessions release by Ben Folds (one of the few remaining in print). This is rock music the way it’s meant to be experienced, so powerful and raw in its depth you can only absorb it more completely with an ear pressed suicidally against the side-stage speakers. I’ll let the songs do the talking, thanks to the wonder that is YouTube.

Enjoy, and feel free to post in the comments some live performances which inspire you as a listener. The more the better!

Guitar: Steve Caton

Bass: Jon Evans

Drums: Matt Chamberlain

- – – – -

SONG #1 — “Precious Things”

SONG #2 — “iiieee”

SONG #3 — “Past the Mission”

SONG #4 — “Caught a Nice Sneeze”

SONG #5 — “Take to the Sky” (Solo)

SONG #6 — “Cooling” (Solo)

SONG #7 — “The Waitress”

About these ads

7 responses

1. Tori is a godess. Thanx for sharing

January 19, 2013 at 3:37 AM

• You’re more than welcome … what a trip to see her playing with Caton back before he blew her off and she turned out “Not David Bowie” about their acrimony ;) And Chamberlain, the “human drum loop” … I could watch him play all night!

Thanks for reading :)

January 19, 2013 at 4:02 AM

2. I was watching “Tori Amos Story Tellers” on youtube just the other night and fell upon some of these clips. My personal favorite is the performance of “Caught a Lite Sneeze”, the anger she has in this performance is not paralleled in other clips I have found. This was truly a great session.

November 29, 2013 at 12:15 AM

• They really should DVD the hell out of this … thank God for YouTubers ;)

November 29, 2013 at 1:00 AM

• I know! I was gonna comment that I wished it was available, as well as the story tellers clip from VH1. As long as it not though, it will be on YouTube safe. Lol

November 29, 2013 at 1:17 AM

• I am surprised there is not a post about the new NIN album, Hesitation Marks. There a couple of songs I really love on there. Of course I haven’t written anything about it myself.

November 29, 2013 at 1:20 AM

• Haven’t heard it yet. Will have to check it out :)

November 29, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Join the "Hear! Hear!" conversation!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s